Friday, September 30, 2005

The Intellectual Integrity of the Right

When you can't win on the power of your ideas... well... cheat! It's what Jesus would do.

Isn't it?

Lara Szent-Gyorgyi said she was returning items Saturday at Wal-Mart in Natick when she noticed someone outside the store gathering names for a separate ballot initiative, one that would allow the sale of wine in supermarkets. Szent-Gyorgyi said she had signed, and had then been asked to sign a few other petitions, but she said she had not been told what they were for. One was the gay-marriage petition.
''It was very misleading," said Szent-Gyorgyi, of Brookline, who contacted The Boston Globe.
Risa Sacks said she experienced something similar at a Price Chopper supermarket in Worcester on Wednesday.
She said that when she signed the wine initiative, a woman who was collecting names told her that she needed to sign somewhere else, too. Only when she pressed, Sacks said, was she told that the second signature was for the gay-marriage question.
''I was so upset about the whole thing," said Sacks, a freelance researcher who lives in Worcester. ''It was completely egregious. It was completely misleading. It was completely incorrect."


I am, of course, making that error where I ascribe the actions of a few to the political philosophy of millions, which is just plain stupid.

But fun, in an intellectually lazy way.

Update: Andrew Sullivan also has something about the this and links to another article.

Well, I signed the Petition to allow alcohol to be sold and asked Mr. Johnson if my name would be made public and was told emphatically, "No, these signatures go directly to the Secretary of State." Interesting... I was then asked if I wanted to sign "the traditional marriage petition." When I said no, He told me that he was being paid $1 a signature and that it would really help him if I could sign!

I thought the point of the bible was that the end didn't justify the means.
Maybe that's why I'm an atheist.

No comments: