Friday, November 04, 2005

I Blog, You Decide

I have an opportunity to perhaps go to Iraq and help them set up some infrastrucutre for a Central Bank. Working with third world countries and getting them into the payments area has become an accidental speciality at MSFT and we are considering going in and setting up a good portion of the central systems.

I made the mistake of mentioning this to Geoff.

Thaurloteion: when are you supposed to go to iraq?
Toast171: dunno
Thaurloteion: where in iraq are you supposed to go?
Toast171: Baghdad, in theory
Thaurloteion: can i come too?
Toast171: I'm thinking... no
Thaurloteion: you said next time you got a security detail i could come
Toast171: ...
Toast171: I didn't mean go "into a war zone"
Thaurloteion: I don’t eat much and I don’t know right from wrong
Toast171: neither of those things are true
Toast171: I am not taking you to Iraq
Thaurloteion: maybe it'll scare me away from thinking about enlisting
Toast171: like scared straight?
Thaurloteion: yes
Toast171: ... but with bullets instead of anal rape
Thaurloteion: right
Toast171: No!
Thaurloteion: please?
Toast171: I don't think this is a "please" situation
Thaurloteion: what kind of situation is it?
Toast171: a Kevlar pajamas kind
Thaurloteion: that wouldn’t be an issue if you would have bought me that kevlar i wanted in high school
Toast171: The past is full of regrets for all of us
Thaurloteion: travel abroad is always a plus on a resume
Thaurloteion: especially a resume for the letter soups
Toast171: so is "being alive"
Thaurloteion: that’s what the security detail is for
Thaurloteion: plus itd be a good networking opportunity
Thaurloteion: i could talk with the civilian contractors and see who's hiring and such
Toast171: networking with Al Queda?
Thaurloteion: no, places like kbr
Thaurloteion: it'd be a nice thing to do
Toast171: How about if I blog this and let the responses decide?
Thaurloteion: ok
Thaurloteion: if there’s one thing we republicans are good at, its rigging elections

Comment below please

6 comments:

Brian Dunbar said...

I don't _know_ but simply getting off the plane and driving around Baghdad isn't an automatic death sentence.

If I were 'the boy' (sorry but the nickname is cool) I'd want to go. And he is enlisting, albiet in the weenie branch of the armed service. Going in harms way will soon be the name of the game.

On the other hand I am a dad and I wouldn't let _my_ kids go with to a war zone. Yes, the boy is of age and descisions he makes are his own. Still and but.

I'd say 'no' if it were me. Heck I'd turn down my 'SSGT in the Army' stepson, big and tough as he is.

I get blown up .. that's one thing. I get my kid blown up because he's on a trip with me .. that is an awful thing to consider.

Sorry.

Anonymous said...

The mama said NO in about 6 different languages. That ought to count for something!

MAH said...

Brian,

You have the entire heart of my objection. Rationally it's his choice to do what he wants, including joining and serving. I've told him I'm not happy about his desire and I have no wish to lose my only son, but he is of age to make the choice himself.

And I agree that a civie trip to the Green Zone is, in no way, an automated death sentence.

Intellectually I know this.

Emotionally... well... I can't knowing bring myself to put him in harms way, even if I am with him and there isn't likelyhood of much harm. I;m willingto take the chance, I'm not willing to give it to Geoff.

And, even if nothing did happen, his mother would kill me.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely the boy should go. He'll be fine. He has good judgement. Trust it.

It would be the experience of a lifetime, and the boy is thoughtful enough to get something out of it. And he's enthusiastic. Don't crush his enthusiasm.

Don't make me take him to Amsterdam.

SW

Anonymous said...

I agree with SW. Hes an adult, take him if he wants to go.

Anonymous said...

No way, I agree with Brian here. It's one thing to risk yourself. You take him and something happens, you will never forgive yourself. Take him on some other cool trip instead!

And don't go yourself either...