Tuesday, December 20, 2005

As Google Turn into the Microsoft of the 21st Century

Can the anti-trust suits be far behind?

But since its debut last summer, Google Earth has received attention of an unexpected sort. Officials of several nations have expressed alarm over its detailed display of government buildings, military installations and other important sites within their borders.

India, whose laws sharply restrict satellite and aerial photography, has been particularly outspoken. "It could severely compromise a country's security," V. S. Ramamurthy, secretary in India's federal Department of Science and Technology, said of Google Earth. And India's surveyor general, Maj. Gen. M. Gopal Rao, said, "They ought to have asked us."

I will particularly relish the plight of my (emotionally) Anti-Microsoft (but philospophicall) Libertarian friends who while strictly anti-regulation quietly root for the fall of my company. All of them are big Google fans.

2 comments:

Brian Dunbar said...

will particularly relish the plight of my (emotionally) Anti-Microsoft (but philospophicall) Libertarian friends who while strictly anti-regulation quietly root for the fall of my company. All of them are big Google fans.

I'd like Microsoft a whole bunch more if they'd have something like a FreeBSD ports collection. I've gone back and forth the past month installing software on BSD (make | make install) and 2003 Server (insert CD |setup.exe |eject CD | and repeat)

Add insult to injury - the BSD boxes are in the next room. The Windows boxen are across the street ... and it's cold outside.

Seriously I have no problem with MS as a company. Some of their products drive me loopy (GUI on a server ... why?) but that is a seperate issue.

MAH said...

(snort!) I chuckled at that. :)