Monday, January 23, 2006

The Two Precent Company

Got there following a thread leading to this, but overall it's a good site and now on my browser favorites list.

Someday, you may be robbed at gunpoint. If that happens, will you call out to Batman to help you?

Some others say: "Who knows what I might do in a time of extreme stress — maybe for a moment, Batman might seem like a good option." Our response here is to acknowledge that sometimes terror can overtake logic, but that in the end, when the stressful situation is over, it's important to return to your senses, and understand that there really is no Batman.

2 comments:

Brian Dunbar said...

Hunh. I always felt that 'The Batman' story worked much better with 'Batman' as a stand-in for the common man.

He's a superhero without super powers. He's gifted, with a trained athleticism, intelligence and a fortune, but anyone can aspire to that. In other words, you don't have to be a victim, you can stand up for yourself and others .. do the right thing.

This was not done at all well in the movies (I have not seen the most recent) but was done very well in Frank Miller's Dark Knight reimagining. Feh, too much comic book geekery, sorry.

It is, I think, possible to beleive in the Divine without thinking He will especially come to your aid if you beg hard enough. The folk tradition of middle America holds 'the Lord helps them that helps themselves' in high regard, as do I.

So .. pray hard on Sunday morning for the Lord's help and then spend Monday - Saturday getting on with the program and making it happen. There are worse things to do with your time.

MAH said...

Actually, I agree with you. There's a lot more to admire in Batman than in most of the other 'powered' heroes.

I also agree that it's possible to believe in the divine without the belief that it will obey commands.

I don't happen to beleive in the divine at all and, functionally at least, our positions are not far apart.

I just get tired of hearing that I don't beleive in god becuase I haven't suffered and, once I expereince some hardship, I'll submit. I've seen plenty of trying times and will (hopefully) live to see plenty more and nothing has really changed my mind. Maybe I will someday, but I doubt it.