Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Jay Pinkerton Doesn't Care Much for Narnia

I saw Narnia on a flight from Atlanta to Seattle a couple of weeks ago. I was in the fron row and had some work to do, so I watched it with the sound off, peeking up occasionally to see what was going on.

I'm utterly positive that the dialog I made up in my own mind was a great deal more entertaining that whatever was actually said. OTOH, Jay Pinkerton actually watched the whole thing with sound and had this to say:

Narnia, on the other hand, is like the K-Mart discount bin of mythology. Every monster or creature you've ever heard of is incoherently tossed in with the animal kingdom, and now they all talk. I like fantasy as much as the next sixth level cleric, but the bare minimum for me is knowing the author gave his ridiculous shit more thought than I'll have to. Narnia comes off like a shitty Trapper-Keeper drawing by a twelve-year-old who plays Dungeons & Dragons and really likes the zoo. In one scene a pair of badgers have a conversation with Santa Claus, and in another a human on a talking horse does battle with the White Witch of the North while griffins divebomb centaurs, and your head’s just spinning from the random senselessness of it.

Yup, that was my sense of it. I also don't understand the giant ice dam which was causing it to be winter, but fell easily to a group of plucky teenagers. Some kinda metaphor or something...

3 comments:

Brian Dunbar said...

Pinkerton is right but .. it _is_ aimed at pre-teens and teens. It's a frippin' children's story book, s'all.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know, as a mother of an 8 year old who has now watched it 8 times (3 in the theatre) that sometimes adults have NO concept of what's good and what's not!
8)

And when are you calling me???????

MAH said...

Yeah, yeah, I know its for kids. Maybe I'm harshing on it because I never read it as a child. That said, it didn't seem as interesting as "A Wrinkle in Time" which I assume was aimed at the same age-group.