Thursday, April 13, 2006

Papists and Muslims and Quakers, oh my!

I love maps! When I was in 4th grade I got sent home with a note which read,
"Buy Mark a globe so we can have the class' back". I was spending hours with it, looking at foriegn contries, learning cities and countries, etc. It was completely compelling.

Even today I have MS MapPoint on all my computers and have been know to spend an hour or two going over the geography of a country I haven't been to before (or in many cases some I have). I just love them.

Here's a great site mapping demographic data on religion across the country. I was a little surprised that a) the country isn't as religious as I thought and b) Massachusetts is still very religious.
Enjoy

1 comment:

Brian Dunbar said...

Most people these days don't go to church - they don't need to.

Don't attend church and your bond to whatever faith you formally hold is .. weak. Spotty.

The church in past days functioned as the social center of the community. There simply wasn't much else to do on a Saturday night. On the frontier you had .. the homestead or the local Baptist church. The pressure to join .. I'm not saying people weren't doing so for genuine reasons but the social urge must have been equally strong.

We don't need the chruch for a social center - we've got the Mall. And the internets lord love us all.