Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Mullah at Home

Andrew Sullivan does a good job on unpacking Dinesh D'Souza's new book, The Enemy at Home:The Cultural Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11. It is terrifying, at least to those of us who believe that America is about invidualism and the freedom of the marketplace of ideas.

Read the full review, it seems pretty damning and, unfortunately, consistent with other reviews from the Right I have read on the same book. I was kind of hoping AS was being hysterical, but it seems he's on the money.

What is that path? At its core is a deepening rejection of cultural and philosophical modernity. D'Souza believes that the defining new distinction in American politics is no longer between the economic right and the economic left. The size of government and its role as a guardian of the public welfare are increasingly dead issues, or issues where no vital energy crackles. D'Souza rightly holds that the real divide in the new century is between authority and autonomy, between faith-based politics and individual freedom. And in this struggle at the level of first principles, D'Souza chooses his own side. He is at war with the modern West. If forced to choose between a theocratic order that upheld traditional morality and a secular order that saw such morality marginalized, D'Souza is with the former. He puts it more graphically himself: "Yes, I would rather go to a baseball game or have a drink with Michael Moore than with the grand mufti of Egypt. But when it comes to core beliefs, I'd have to confess that I'm closer to the dignified fellow in the long robe and prayer beads than to the slovenly fellow with the baseball cap."

Micheal Moore is the Right's boogy man in the same way that Ann Coulter is the Left's, so double props to DD for this construction.

Also,
One has to admire at least the frankness with which this secessionist strategy for conservatism is laid out. "How can we use the war on terror to win the culture war?" D'Souza asks in a final chapter called "Battle Plan for the Right." Notice here that defeating the forces of Islamist terror is merely instrumental to the deeper struggle to defeat modern individualism and autonomy. The idea of a common American commitment to the Constitution's guarantees of individual freedom and autonomy is secondary to the global battle for the "external moral order." Loyalty is not to country, but to a worldwide theoconservative ideology. Like the Marxists of old, the theoconservatives see their movement increasingly as global, resting on eternal truths, and not compatible with the "liberal morality" of their autonomous bourgeois fellow Westerners.

No wonder the libertarians on the Right are upset with their party. I certainly am.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I thought, "liberal morality"? That's an oxymoron. Then I realized that's why its in quotes.

MAH said...

It's non-substantive comments like that which cause folks to not take the "right" very seriously.

While dont always agree with comments on this page, I certainly try hard to see things from the other point of view, and i always try to keep the dialog civil. Frankly I dont see how comments like that do either of those things, or form a persuasive case that would compel me to even attempt to see from your viewpoint.

Anonymous said...

Yes I do tend to use humor as a weapon. But it does, like most humor, hide a seed of truth. When I hear "libs" say that there is no absolute truth or that if there is we can not know what it is. Or that everything is full of "nuance", all I can say is how do you trust someone with these beliefs. If I don't believe in truth, or if I believe that I can lie if the situation calls for it (yes dear, that dress looks great on you) Then I can say that "morality" is whatever I want it to be and you cannot foist your morality on me. This gives libs the impression that they are smarter than everyone else and makes debating them a futile waste of time(from the Redundant Department of Redundancy). Kinda like playing checkers with someone who rotates the board everytime they are losing.

MAH said...

and yet, here you are, sidestepping the point of the post, and declining to debate it's significance or lack there of.

Anonymous said...

Sidestepping? I think I hit it right between the eyes. I said that debating libs is a futile waste of time and you ask why I don't debate?