Thursday, July 19, 2007

Phenegan, begin again.

When I was in the hospital earlier, I was prescribed Phenegan in fairly generous does for nausea. It became obvious to me within a few moments of the first does that the stuff has neurological properties, I started shaking uncontrollably and recognizably started to hallucinate, although very lightly. Pleasant, vivid colors and a few interesting closed-eye patterns (mostly like complex Chinese brocades). I’m not sure most people would have noticed. It absolutely made me sleepy.

Interesting though that this is the third or fourth time I’ve seen a connection between CNS impacting meds and the stomach. I’m not sure what it means, but it seems to be true. When I was in the emergency, they kept checking on me and one of the nurses mentioned that Phenegan sometimes "makes folks go a little loopy", and made the universal crazy sign with her hand. Given it's origin as an anti-psychotic, I'm not terribly surprirsed that sometimes happens. Human brains are complicated and no two are really the same, a flexibility I find quite amazing really given that we have 95% of the same cognitive functionality.

I have 5 pills left which they shipped home with me. Hopefully I can save them for "later".

No comments: