Sunday, November 11, 2007

Our Wonderful Earth

I remember the first science book I learned to read.

I was about 4 and was interested in what caused the seasons (I had a complicated theory involving the Earth rotating end-over-end which I began to suspect was wrong). This was about 1968, and my mother gave me her old grade school textbook, which I poured through day and night for weeks, carving a deep and lasting gouge in my consciousness.

Last night I was having dinner with some friends and one of them mentioned that he found an old book on Amazon he'd been looking for for years. It occured to me that I might be able to find this old book there, which would be cool. I remembered the title and I have a handful of pages memorized (I think) and I remember the distinctive green cover with a picture of the Earth on it. I figure since it was my mothers elementary school textbook, it was probably published 1948-1950. I could not remember the author.

So I typed "Our Wonderful Earth" into Amazon.

I got this. ACK!

No good.

I also got a bunch of other hits, but without cover shots.

One was from 1951, so I tried google.

Got it on the first hit!

$10.95 and 2 weeks delivery. :)

No comments: