Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Speechlessly Offensive.

From TJIC:

nation of victims
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articl…
NEW YORK - New data from a public health registry that tracks health effects of 9/11 suggest that up to 70,000 people developed post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of the terror attacks.


All I want for Christmas is Patton, dressed in red and white, to slide down the chimney and start slapping the !@#% out of these babies.


(Bolds are TJIC).

I don't even know where to begin with how incredibly offensive this is, it's outrageous on so many levels. The idea that victims of terrorism should be slapped for allowing themselves to be exposed in that way. The idea that people should walk off 9/11 like a bump on the noggin or a bad bee sting. The idea that out of a city of 10 million, the fact that less than 1% are still affected a few years later is somehow offensive to someone. The childish power fantasy of a macho war hero slapping people into... what? something? The sheer disregard and even ignorance of what happened that day and how it affected folks. The huge distance between that statement and any semblence to human compassion, genunine sympathy or even simple christian charity is mind blowing.

Tomorrow is the anniversary of 9/11. We've all seen what has happened over the last 7 years and it's probably not an exaggeration to say it's been the biggest event in 21st century America so far. I've recounted my story of what happened to me that week numerous times, so I am not going to repeat it here, because I am not looking for sympathy or one upsmanship. I'll spend part of tomorrow in remembrance of some of the people I lost, the company I worked for which went out of business, the lives shattered, the damage to the families the city and the nation. It's a solemn day for me and a fairly private one. If I prayed, I would, but since I don't I'll reflect and ponder. At no point though am I going get angry at the victims, or call them names, or engage in cheap little revenge fantasies, or name calling. I genuinely can't understand why someone would.

Travis is far, far less than the person I thought he was. This is where I step off and leave him to his followers and echo chamber. I simply can't have a rational discourse with a person who thinks this is a valid thing to say about the people left to deal with the aftermath of 9/11.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still remember the terror of trying to reach you that day .... (mom sent dad over to the house and found your phone number for me because I was at work!) and trying to reach Geoff so he wouldn't panic. And I remember the infamous "WHERE ARE YOU?" ... Honestly Mark, it seems that MOST of our life-changing moments start with those words!
I'm glad you're alive. (And I prayed for you ... and for everyone touched by today.) You're welcome. :)