Saturday, June 18, 2005

Brains.. Brains....

An interesting look at the sex differences of brains, a subject of long time fascination and relevance to me these days. Yes, it seems the stuff they thought in the late 70's and 80's seems to be true.
She began by studying the corpus callosum, the cable of nerves that channels all communication and cooperation between the brains two hemispheres.
Examining tissue samples through a microscope, she discovered that the more left-handed a person was, the bigger the corpus callosum.
To her surprise, however, she found that this held true only for men. Among women there was no difference between right-handers and left-handers.
"Once you find this one difference," she remembered thinking, "it implies that there will be a cascade of differences."
As she systematically analyzed the brains in her refrigerator, she discovered that other neural structures seemed larger or smaller among men, depending on whether the man had been right-handed or left-handed.


Interesting.
Speaking of brains, I've discovered a recent flaw in mine which I attribute to the brain worms. I can't really remember people's names anymore. Not just new people I meet, I've never been good at that and now it's hopeless. I mean people I have known for years. I recognize them, have a full set of memories etc., I just often use the wrong name or dont' remember the name at all. It's very weird.
So, if I'm talking to you and I don't use your name, that's probably why.

No comments: