Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Why Kirkland might not be so bad

We are staying at Yarrow Point, on the eastern shore of Lake Washington. I was told that the fireworks are "spectacular" from the hotel, a claim I met with mild boredom. I have made my own fireworks in years past and have a pretty high level of expectation for "spectacular". [Actually, I have a high standard for "terrific". My fireworks are only "spectacular" when something has gone ... amiss... and they are detonanting all at once/I'm being yelled at by the fire marshell (name of Kurt Bauer BTW)/seen from orbit]

It gets dark here at 10 pm-ish this time of year, so around then we stand outside looking west across the lake. To the north (right) there are the hill sof Kirkland, Bothell and surrounding communities. Due west is East Seattle, Seattle and a little piece of Mercer Island. To the south, left, Yarrow Point and (I am told) Bill Gates House.

Around 10:10, there is a little noise and the hills to the north start to have a couple of fireworks displays from the nearby towns. They are 7-10 miles away but bright and colorful. Very pretty. From here they look like little, colorful motor fire. Then there are 3. Then 6. Then 10. All going at once on the north hills. It;s getting darker and it looks, for all the world, like a battle. Explosions, colors, noise, there is always something going on. They are far enough away that the sound is totally disconnected from the blossoming circles of fire and the smoke starts to accumulate and trace the complicated winds. "Very cool", I think. I've never seen this many simultaneous displays before.

Then the Seattle districts light up. West, into the orange, pink and purple setting sun, bright displays of green, gold and blue start to erupt. Resonating booms track across the water and clash with the sounds from the north. It's a war on two fronts, each of which is determined to out do the others. Then Kirkland fires it's volleys. Half a mile down the beach and 300 yards into the water, the local city fireworks start and in the cities behind us to the east. Over the hills I can see the tops of red explosions while standing in the daylight bright greens and whites of nearby Kirkland. The North and West are still fighting their battle, brought to a frenzy as each town climaxes into finale. I lose count at 26 distinct displays, my eyes not fast enough to encompass all the towns, smoke-trails, glows and explosions.

Then Gates lights his sparklers. He has his own pyrotechnic display (although I doubt he made them himself). It's near, bright colorful and LOUD. For the next 45 minutes, the entire lakeshore is consumed in noise, smoke and color. Rings, fountains, whistlers, flowers, trees, smiley faces, hearts and just plain old loud explosions overwhelm the senses.

It was, actually, spectacular.

I might just get used to this place.

No comments: