Thursday, September 01, 2005

Apache Rant

Sorry folks, I said something unkind about Apache the other day.

I meant to add this link.

People ask me if I worry about open source code displacing code made by professionals for hire.
I answer, "no".

The markets value the experiste of professional coders and, by proxy, qa testing, development, source code management in a way I don't see the open source folks every emulating in a robust, long-term sustainable way. We have to pay software engineers well because 95% of software engineering is boring, tedoius and not fun. It's also the reason it works well.

Also, this came out today. I'm not generally a fan of either "bug statistics" or "TCO studies". I liken them to Astrology, Tarot Reading and anything from Accenture becuase they can mean whatever you think they mean. Still, it's nice to see the other side get their head in the can for a long, cool swirly once in a while.

No comments: