Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Meltdown

Maybe because I don't read redStates that often (or little green footballs or instapundit or most of the Right feel-good space. I do read National Review and Weekly Standard sicne the writing and insight are a little better) I don't have a feel for how they normally go. Reading it this morning, I detect a familair tone, although it's one I haven't heard in a long while.

They sound very much like the Dems did on a cold Novemeber evening in 1994 when they began to realize that 40 years of corrupt hegemony was ... over? Naw.... it couldn't be. Things would be okay in '96. This is normal and we'll fix it in 2 years. etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, 12 years later the Dems are still wandering lost in the desert, and the GOP pulled a magnificent plan together in '94 which isn't the case here.
Still, the tone is the same.
I'm wondering if "the base" has cracked, or at least if the evangeligicals are going to pout for a few elections. Or, if like many an abused spouse, they will cover their bruses, but on a smile and go back because "there isn't any where else to go".

1 comment:

MAH said...

I agree, in that I don't see a major DNC wave coming over the horizon, reshaping the entire landscape.

I owuld like to see a return to the gridlock of the 90s thought.

I never thought I would remember that fondly.