Thursday, January 05, 2006

Kos Illogic

Kos makes the following error in logic:

I've always thought these crazy right-wing homophobes are all closet homosexuals. I mean, who obsesses over things like these other than those struggling with inner demons? If they struggle with same-sex attractions, they figure, then so does everyone else. And that's when it becomes a "choice" blah blah blah. Not that I'm looking for evidence for my theory, but I got some anyway.

This doesn't prove that right-wing homophobes are gay, it just proves *this* right-wing homophone like oral sex with men. Generalizing to a class from a specific is a common error, too common for someone like Kos to fall into, he certainly knows better.

People are homophobic for lots of reasons, education (or lack there of), philosophical creed, fear, self-loathing, principled stands and, of course, religion. Of them all, only the fearful and religious worry me. The former because they sometimes resort to violence and while I *enjoy* the right to bear arms, I don't want to *have to* do so (a distinction often lost on adherents on both the far right and the far left). The latter because they are generally not content to leave the judgment to god but often feel it's necessary to legislate to accomplish what proselytizing cannot achieve. I think good-faith folks on the religious side are content to let god judge, since that is who the beef is with. It's the ones who see god a source of personal power which try to get the rest of us to dance to their tune.

Either way, Kos is off base here.

No comments: