Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hitchens is Definately Off My Ramadan Holiday Gift List!

He seems to have made something of an ass of himself:

Later that evening, someone in the FFRF was handing out an open letter to the freethought community, one that protested the inclusion of Hitchens and opposing any future speakers of his sort. I sympathized with the sentiment (and if the writer wants to send me an electronic copy, I'll post it here), but I think it was useful to have Hitchens stand up there and tell us what he thinks — and there was absolutely no reticence in his comments, which I admire. But while I agree with his goal of working towards a rational, secular world, a triumph of enlightenment values, I disagree entirely with his proposed strategy, which seems to involve putting a bullet through every god-haunted brain. To have a clearly stated position to which we can respond with clearly stated opposition is actually a kind of gift.

Hitch has always been a strong supporter of the war, a position I found a little puzzling until now. I guess he is, as one guy put it, "he's a highly entertaining nut job who happens to hold a few views similar to mine"

No comments: