Sunday, October 14, 2007

Left v. Right Brain


Does she spin CW or CCW?

(if she isn't spinning, click on her. there have been some problems with blogger)

There is some suggestion that the direction of spin you see tells you which brain hemisphere is dominant. I can see her spin either way, but when I first look I see clockwise. I'm pretty skeptical of the left/right thing since object roation is a full right brain function, i.e. you don't seem to have two seperate centers in your brain for CW and CCW spinning objects, each in a different hemisphere. OTOH, I know almost nothing about actual brain function, so don't listen to me. I'm ambidexterous and my brain dominance was shown to be evenly split in my neuropsych evalstwo years ago, so my perceptions may be unusual with this.

via here, here and here.

2 comments:

Tom Sisson said...

i'm the same as you. originally i saw her spin CW but i can switch my brain to seeing her spin CCW also. mostly by looking at her inside leg (which is her left leg if she's spinning CW and her right leg if she's spinning CCW). pretty cool.

MAH said...

cool.

AOL had a poll on this and it pretty much disproves the left/right brain hypothesis. ~90% of humans are left brain dominant, but only 40% of AOL participants chose the left-brain spin.