Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Failure of Terrorism

This is the most amazing sentiment I've ever seen from the GOP:

Perhaps Giuliani should blame Bush for his campaign’s demise. If Bush had not been so successful in preventing another domestic terrorist attack, Giuliani’s relevance to voters would be painfully obvious, and his deviations from party orthodoxy less compelling. Instead, he and Bush, the two public figures most associated with September 11, will watch from the sidelines as America turns the page.

more here

via

If only we had more terror so that everyone can see the danger of terror!! Too bad it's too unethical (and time consuming) for the GOP to actually cause some, in the public interest of course.

For me, the question I have never heard answered has always been, what did Rudy actually do during 9/11? He was mayor, yes. But it has always seemed to me that the fire and disaster recovery responded as they should to any major emergency, without a lot of prompting from Rudy. Other than being there, I dont know that he actually *did* anything more than anyone else would have done in the same situation.

I'm more than willing to change my mind on this, if someone has some pointers.

2 comments:

Brian Dunbar said...

The City Journal were (are?) big Giuliani supporters - perhaps that accounts for their editorial tone?

what did Rudy actually do during 9/11?

He looked like he was in charge and let his guys do their thing.

That might be the hardest part of 'leadership' to get right; acting like a leader and letting your people do what has to be done without leaning over their shoulder.

I'm not a particular fan of the guy - or anyone running for the office except Obama.

MAH said...

No, no, I get that, Rudy did what any reasonably intelligent electged offical would have done in the same circumstance. I can't imagine Dinkins or Koch doing anything much different at the time.

What he is saying is that he's done much more than merely what was expected, and thats the part I don't see.