Monday, July 11, 2005

1A8X1 - AIRBORNE CRYPTOLOGIC LINGUIST

This is my son's current career goal. He's definately decided to join the millitary, but I can't kick about this too much (especialyl after all the government work we did at CertCo).

Specialty Summary. Operates, evaluates, and manages airborne signals intelligence information systems and operations activities. Performs and supervises identification, acquisition, recording, translating, analyzing, and reporting of assigned voice communications. Provides signals intelligence threat warning support and interfaces with other units. Performs and assists in mission planning. Maintains publications and currency items. Maintains and supervises communication nets. Transcribes, processes, and conducts follow-up analysis of assigned communications. Related DoD Occupational Subgroup: 232

3 comments:

MAH said...

He's trying to enlist. I've convinced him to finish school first, but just barely.

Brian Dunbar said...

Could be worse - you could be my parents. I decided I just had to be a Marine my junior year of high school and then (of course) just had to be infantry.

Which doesn't, I know, keep your heart from doing acrobatics when you think about it. My sympathies.

Oh, word of advice? In 1985 the Air Force inducted you, THEN you got to decide .. or they did .. what your MOS was going to be. Which didn't seem too keen to me - I could join wanting to do avionics and end up cooking for four years. Get any promises in writing.

Xeitz said...

When enlisting now you can go in with a guarantees comtract for a job.

I myself am a 1A8, it's a cool job but I hope your kid is willing to put some effort in at DLI. The language school is damn hard. As far as a career, if he makes it through DLI he is pretty set for the rest of his life if he wants to work for the government. If you have questions feel free to post em and I'll do my best to answer.