Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Music in your head

I discovered very recently that most people don't hear music all the time. This has been a surprise to me on pretty much every level as I've always assumed that people hear different kinds of music, pretty much all the time. It came up in conversation about two years ago with some friends who, when I asked about what music they heard in their head, looked at me really weird. It came up again when I had the brain worms as the music had stopped for the first time ever and, when I told the neurologist, we had a discussion about it. He confirmed that that was pretty much the way everyone was and asked me questions about how I dealt with it. "Easily," I said. "I've never not heard it, so it's something I'm used to"

Today the NYT had an interesting article confirming, yet again, that my brain is very different from the standard issue one.

FTR, tonight it's dance music although earlier it was Christmas songs (the most common).

2 comments:

Brian Dunbar said...

In some ways this makes you a lucky guy; you've got your own soundtrack, wherever you go.

MAH said...

Yeah, but I've fed it crappy music for 40 years and now I have a crappy sound track. I need to spend more time listening to clasical music.

You know, like Hendrix.