Tuesday, March 27, 2007

2nd Amendment

So my son Geoff often criticizes me for defending the Bill of Rights "except for the second amendment". You know, the one about keeping the King of England out of your face. I freely admit my support for it hasn't been as strong as for the First, but having read the Federalist 8, I believe I have a better feeling for the whole purpose and structure of it than I think most folks do.

That said, like nuclear power, I learned to support it when I took away the irrational emotion and looked at it logically. I disagree with TJIC's extreme "Might makes Right" position, but I do believe that people can responsibly use guns in society. I also believe people should be free not to use them and that both sets should enjoy the same freedom from fear and crime provided by concentrating the source of sanctioned violence with the police. The police force also can and should be a source of good in society.

Why the preamble? Because I was surprised (and more than a little disappointed) at the Republican reaction to Jim Webb's aid carrying a gun. Far more so than the democrats, the GOP has supported people's right to carry a gun, so I was shocked at their eagerness to jump on this guy simply because he's a democrat with a gun. I know I shouldn't have been, there is seemingly no principle at all underlying the modern republicans except the quest for power, but this was one of the few things I thought they had right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,Mark,Mark,(head shaking sadly)

Come on my friend. there is so much wrong with this post that I don't know where to begin. Have you become Canadian? and to be honest, I have thought of moving there myself at times, but then I remember those Michigan winters...You remember them, don't you? so I think I will stay here in the Sunshine State. Or maybe Australia....
You say in the second paragraph that you "took away the irrational emotion and looked at it logically." Then you pick it right back up in the last.

First, I am not seeing this "surprising and dissapointing" reaction from republicans.
Second, Webb's aide is not just "simply... a democrat with a gun." He is carrying an unregistered,unlicensed loaded semi automatic weapon and two clips into a federal Senate office building That is not just whistling dixie.
Third, Look at the reaction the dems had over a senator sending some racy emails to an underage teen page. (Especially when an election is at stake)I wish the republicans would react a little (lot) more about Wm. Jefferson, Sandy Burgler, and the list goes on. But a Lib won't miss a chance to take a shot at a Conservative. My head is still shaking.

Meanwhile...apparently it's ok to bring a gun into a courtroom, If you are the judge.