Thursday, August 02, 2007

Asperger test

I, for one, have never self-diagnosed with Asperger's although I can certainly see some of the more obvious symptoms in my personality, e.g. strong concentration skills especially with numbers, a rich inner life, introversion, noticing details other folks miss etc. I've always assumed that these characteristics are also shared with general intelligence and I, frankly, got a pretty full helping of that. I've worked fairly hard the last 15 years or so to become less introverted and more social, something I think an Asperger's patient would not do. Also, among a certain set, a self-diagnosis of Asperger's becomes an excuse for being lazy or rude and not putting any energy into social dynamics.

So I took the following test pretty honestly, but expected a negative result: AQ Test
Guess what?

I don't have Aspergers! I scored a 22, within the error bar for the average computer scientist and a little below the average math contest winner. I was very slightly dissapointed with the latter.

I was actually a little worried at one point in the test because it asked about randomly memorizing license plates and phone numbers. "ut oh!", I thought, then remembered not only the phone number of the hotel I am staying in (which I dialed a month ago), but the license plate numbers of my last 3 rental cars. "hmmmm.. not good"

It's nice to know this is "normal" behavior.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah my Nephew, displays the symptoms of Aspergers....Long live fish sticks. 4 cut in half to make 8!