Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A Good Idea

Andrew Sullivan has a good idea that I fully support, noting folk who exhibit some modicom of judgement and recognize that occasioanlly recognizing the flaws on your side of the political spectrum, makes you a more credible advocate, not less. He call it the Yglesias Award. Here's a good example:

"For the crime of noting that the president's speech didn't help his poll numbers, I'm getting battered by e-mailers who suggest, among other things, that I am somehow unmanly because I'm not "supporting" the president enough. I never thought a day would come when I -- the author of a book entitled 'Bush Country: How Dubya Became the First Great Leader of the 21st Century While Driving Liberals Insane' -- would be accused of being a fair-weather supporter of GWB. Let me just try to explain something to my e-mailers. The president gave his speech Thursday night in an effort to reverse the decline in his political fortunes... It appears his effort was unsuccessful, in part (I think) because he sounded like a Big Spender and alienated more Republicans without winning over more Democrats... Bush supporters don't help him or themselves any by pretending his troubles are all due to the MSM. He has, for the moment, lost the country's confidence." - John Podhoretz, National Review Online.

Way to go, Sully. I knew there was a reason to very occasionally look at the National Review.

No comments: