Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Last Exorcism of Mary Poppins

Last week Travis had a contest for bad cross-over movie/book/comic deals. I put in a few but one of my favorites was (the Nick-amended title) The Last Exorcism of Mary Poppins. I chucked a lot when I wrote it and thought it was my second best attempt (The best, in my mind, being Harry Potter and the Prisoners of Oz [Penitentiary] )

I didn’t realize I would be in London this week when I wrote that and here Mary Poppins is beyond a pop icon and almost a secular saint. As a result, her image is everywhere, even more than Madonna’s. The idea of her being possessed makes a kind of sense given the movie (sliding up banisters, flying, making objects move, speaking in tongues, fucking the devil). So I was so surprised I laughed out loud and have been giggling all morning by something I saw today; A large cut-out of MP in the sidewalk (maybe advertising cell phones or something) with a bishop (or some other dressed up cleric type) standing next to her. I instantly imagined him turning to her, spraying her with Holy Water and saying “The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you!”.

Well… *I* thought it was funny.

No comments: