Saturday, September 17, 2005

Media Training 102

While I'm on the subject of media training...

I note with no pride that my jobs for the 6 or 7 years, a majority or all of my job has been in the marketing department (as it currently is right now). As a result I've had an inordinate amount of media training. Not just the "get up and do a speech" kind, but dealing with the press (hostile and friendly), writing for publication, how to be on television, the 10 tricks to get into the papers and the 5 tricks to stay out, persuasive writing, use of visuals etc. A full course in other words. I'm at a point in my career where I have even spent time training others.

I found this web site some time ago and was looking at it today. I point it out not for it’s snarky attitude or partisan bias (although I somewhat enjoy the latter in much smaller doses than this), but because the analysis of the visuals is spot on. Ignore the text and just look at the pictures. I've added this to my collection of teaching/reference materials for marketing and persuasive writing becuase it's just too good to pass by despite the fact that it's being done by someone with whom I disagree politically.

They do things like this well at the White House and current administration is really exceptional. Look past the mock outrage the author is using to make his point and you’ll see a real masterpiece of Media Staging worthy of the heftiest Hollywood Movie or Product Placement Ad.

I’m impressed with the President’s staff. They’re really good at this.

No comments: